Friday, March 15, 2013

The right to carry verses is it right to carry

For many years now I have steadily become aware of the need for a head of a family to be prepared for just about anything. With 3 growing boys I have had quite a few curve balls thrown my way. As I eased on into 40+ years of age, yeah right eased, I began to realize that I was in fact not 10 feet tall nor bullet proof. I also discovered that the life of my children meant more to me than the life of a stranger who would put them in harms way. I could not live with myself if I had to watch my children and my wife be harmed and be unable to do anything about it. I have owned guns and or been around them all of my life but never paid all that much attention to them. I didn't feel the need to have that level of protection. Then I met a sweet young lady and we have 3 wonderful boys and well, I started thinking about it. As the years went by I started to see more violent crimes, sexual assaults, armed robberies, and home invasions. the more I looked at the problem of keeping my family safe I discovered that no amount of alarms, cell phones, pepper spray, or baseball bats could help me keep my family safe. The only way to combat an attacker with a firearm is to have a firearm myself. It was a personal and moral choice. As a Christian the thought of having to take a life is appalling. I don't want to harm anyone. But the thought of my wife or my children being hurt because I was not prepared made even less sense. I did all the right things, researched the best way to defend my home, got a really big dog that is sweet as can be but mean looking enough to deter some would be invaders. I still did not feel I had given it my best. So I purchased a firearm. I trained with it, learned all about it, and told no one I had it. I simply kept it put away for that one time I might need it. As my boys got older I decided to get a gun safe. It was the right thing to do to protect them from the very thing I had bought to protect them with. My wife eventually got a gun and trained with it as well. When my boys asked I would show the guns to them and explain their workings and operation. As they got older, my oldest will be 20 this year, I took them and taught them what my Father taught me. I made sure they could safely operate the firearms we own and how to maintain them. I know some of you find most gun owners to be a little off of center and maybe I am. But it is my sole desire to own this weapon and never need to level it at another human being as long as I draw breath. Unfortunately times require good people to prepare to fight for the lives of those they love. My family is worth fighting for. So I carry a gun. I do not use this as a means to influence others. Usually I am the only one who knows I have it with me. Some might say that I am overly paranoid. Tell that to the folks in the movie theater or in the elementary school. Through no fault of our own we are exposed to those who would wish us harm for no other reason than they are mentally deranged or just plain evil. I feel it is right to carry for these reasons and I exercise this right with great respect, care, and caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment