Saturday, June 15, 2013

Father's Day

I have, for many years, tried to think of ways to show my Father what he means to me. I have tried gifts and lavish meals but they all fell woefully short of my intentions. As I grow older and am the Father of three boys I think the only thing I can say is what I feel. Every time I come across a parental decision I have a pause and think "What would Dad do". It has not failed me yet. Every time I take a moment and try to recall exactly how my Dad raised me before acting on a parental decision I have met with great success. Dad didn't always get it 100% right but it was better than I could do without his guidance. He was always kind enough to listen to every question and give the best answer he could. He was a great teacher, mentor, and friend. He had expectations that were set in stone and he never budged even when I put on my best begging act. He kept me on the right path. He allowed me to make my own mistakes and learn my lessons while keeping me safe from my own short shortsightedness. Now as I look to be a good Dad I once again have my Dad to thank because I have an entire lifetime of great memories to draw upon. Thank you Dad for always being my Dad first. It really did make a difference. Much love and kindness comes with that ultimate of offerings. I understand that now more than I ever have.


With much love and gratitude,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment