Thursday, November 22, 2012

Food, food, and leftovers!

Thanksgiving! My favorite meal of the year. Not just the fare but the reason for it. I am always amazed that even after a rough year we sit down together and are truly grateful to have each other. It also warms my heart to see my wife get to share her love for cooking with her children. I also like reaping those benefits. We always have tons of our perennial favorites; Turkey (of course) Stuffing ( plain sage nothing to fancy I mean really why screw up a good thing?) Mashed potatoes made with half & half, Sweet potato casserole (the kind with the little marshmallows on top) Corn pudding (Sweet Jesus the corn pudding!) Southern style green beans, Broccoli casserole, Cranberry jelly ( If it isn't shaped like the can it isn't Thanksgiving!) Yeast rolls Pumpkin pie, Pecan pie, Apple pie. Several tricks of the trade that enable my wife to sling that much hash is careful shopping, preparation, electric roaster for the turkey (I must make a side comment on this. It is the perfect way to have roasted turkey. Fast, self basting, crispy skin, and moist meat. Not to mention the time savings and space is made in the conventional oven for all the other dishes) Team effort is the final ingredient in a perfect meal.

Now the leftover part. I have perfected the Annual Thanksgiving Dinner Leftover Casserole. Layer after layer of yummy goodness topped with cheddar cheese. I put the leftover stuffing on the bottom, then green beans, turkey layer, grave on it all, then top it with mashed potatoes covered in a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese. This in concert with the other leftovers is a magnificent way to both clean up, store all the food, and add a spin on the leftovers. 2 Great meals for the price of 1 and plenty of bird left for sammiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment